TOOLS: These interactive resources for schools, municipalities and parents enable students to walk and bicycle to school.
- Build Your SRTS Team
- Walk and Bike to School Events
- How to Plan a Walk and Bike to School Event
- The Walking School Bus
- Planning a Walking School Bus
- Create a School Travel Plan
- Evaluate your School Travel Plan
- NJDOT’s Pedestrian Safety Action Plan Toolbox
TIPS: Quick bits of information that can help with promoting and encouraging walking and bicycling to school.
- Strategies and Tips for Obtaining a SRTS Grant (PDF)
- TAP Grant Strategies and Tips (PDF)
- Estimating Improvement Costs for SRTS
- Engineering and Design Solutions for SRTS
- Tips when School Busing is Cut (PDF)
- SRTS Glossary of Terms (PDF)
- Creating a map of the location of your SRTS infrastructure project is easy using Google Maps! Check out the simple tutorial here:
Handouts for Children and Parents:
- Bicycle and Pedestrian Safety Bookmarks (PDF)
- Bicycle Safety Tips (PDF available in English and Spanish)
- Pedestrian Safety Tips (PDF)
- Personal Safety Tips for Kids (PDF)
- Personal Safety Tips for Parents (PDF)
- Driving Safety Tips (PDF)
POLICIES: Adopting policies can encourage children to walk and bike to school and build a culture of health and wellness in schools and municipalities.
- Can Students Walk & Bike to My School? Some facts and tips on supportive walking & biking school policies.
- Model Municipal Crossing Guard Policy – This model policy was developed as a guide for New Jersey municipalities seeking to adopt a School Crossing Guard Policy.
- Why should a School District adopt Policies on Walking and Bicycling?
- This fact sheet is a companion document to the model school walking and bicycling policies and explains the importance of adopting and implementing district-wide walking and bicycling policies.
- Model Walking to School Policy (MS Word version) | (PDF version)
- A model walking to school policy that can be modified by schools and school districts.
- Model Bicycling to School Policy (MS Word version) | (PDF version)
- A model bicycling to school policy that can be modified by schools and school districts.
- Examples of School Wellness Policies and Regulations:
- Model Safe Routes to School Policy for School Districts: (MS Word Version)
RESOLUTIONS/LETTERS OF SUPPORT: Passing resolutions/letters of support shows commitment to Safe Routes to School and grant applications.
- Sample Resolution of Support of SRTS Grant for Municipality: (MS Word Version)
- Sample Resolution of Support of SRTS Grant for School District: (MS Word Version)
- Sample Letter of Support for SRTS for School or Municipality: (MS Word Version)
- Sample Memorandum of Understanding for SRTS: (MS Word Version)
CROSSING GUARDS: Resources and tools to support School Crossing Guards