Before completing bicycling and walking assessments, you will need to obtain two maps for your SRTS team: A School Neighborhood Map and a School Site Map.
The School Neighborhood Map includes:
- The location of the school
- The School District
- The surrounding road and path network (the location and names of the roads within 1~2 mile radius of the school)
- The location of most student residents and how many students are walking/ biking from those directions
The School Site Map Generator includes:
- School entrances
- Sidewalks and bike paths on campus
- Intersections with crossing guards
- Drop off/pick up zones for parents and school buses
- Adjoining roads with configurations (e.g. four lanes with a median)
You can use, Google maps to create simple maps for your school travel plan. Check our our video on how to use google maps for a Safe Routes to School grant project and use it to map your school and neighborhood.