Transportation Alternatives Set-Aside Program Grants
The New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) offers funding for the Transportation Alternatives Set-Aside Program (TA Set-Aside), which is federally funded and administered by NJDOT, in partnership with the North Jersey Transportation Planning Authority (NJTPA), the Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission (DVRPC), and the South Jersey Transportation Planning Organization (SJTPO).
TA Set-Aside Grants are community-based, non-traditional transportation projects (land and water) which expand travel choice, strengthen the local economy, improve the quality of life, and protect the environment. For additional information on TA Set-Aside grants, visit NJDOT’s Local Aid Resource Center website.
TA Set-Aside eligible projects must fall into one of the following 7 categories:
- Design and construction of on-road and off-road trail facilities for pedestrians, bicyclists, and other non-motorized forms of vehicles.
- Conversion and use of abandoned railroad corridors for trails for pedestrians, bicyclists, and other non-motorized transportation users.
- Construction of scenic turnouts, overlooks, and viewing areas.
- Historic preservation and rehabilitation of historic transportation facilities both land and water such as building structures and canals.
- Community improvement activities, specifically streetscaping and corridor landscaping.
- Environmental mitigation to address stormwater management, control, and water pollution prevention or abatement related to highway construction or due to highway runoff.
- Reduce vehicle-caused wildlife mortality or to restore and maintain connectivity among terrestrial or aquatic habitats.
Resources for TA Set-Aside Grants:
How to Apply for TA Set-Aside Grants
All applicants will be required to submit TA Set-Aside applications online using SAGE (System for Administering Grants). If you belong to a county or municipality, you already have an Authorized Official registered with access to SAGE.
If you belong to any other type of organization, you may request access as an Authorized Official directly through NJDOT SAGE.