Creating a School Travel Plan
A SRTS School Travel Plan “maps out” how to improve pedestrian and bicycle travel to and from school to increase the number of students who walk and bike to school and to improve safety. A School Travel Plan identifies the following:
- Where students currently walk and bike
- Where students would walk and bike if they could
- What changes need to be made so that students can and will walk and bike to school
The School Travel Plan will identify short term solutions for immediate action and implementation as well as long term ones that may require further planning.
Some benefits of developing a School Travel Plan include:
- Creating partnerships between the school and surrounding community
- Generating ideas and actions so walking and bicycling is a safer and more desirable mode of transportation
- Building community excitement that contributes to a successful SRTS program
- Making your application for a SRTS grant more competitive by demonstrating a connection between goals, actions and targets.
When future NJ Department of Transportation grants are announced, you will be eligible for extra points for submitting your School Travel Plan in the application for SRTS infrastructure grant funding.